What Not To Do After A Texas Automobile AccidentHouston Legal News
The goal of every driver when they hit the road is to not get into an accident. However, with over 6 million accidents taking place in the country each year, every time you hit the road no matter how safe of a driver you are, you risk getting into a car accident. If you have never been in an accident before, the situation may feel extremely overwhelmed and you most likely have no idea what to do next.
While there certainly is a list of things that you want to do after an accident, such as taking pictures and exchanging information with the other party, there are also many things you never want to do. When you are in an accident in Texas, your best chance of obtaining the most compensation for your damages is to get in contact with a Houston car accident attorney. Legal professionals will answer all of your questions, guide you through the personal injury claims process, and fight on your behalf to protect your legal rights.
What You Shouldn’t Do After A Car Accident In Texas
After an accident, your nerves will be on high and your adrenaline will be flowing, you may also be experiencing shock. You will be asking yourself what happened and you are naturally going to be interested in who was at fault. There are so many things rushing through your head you may neglect to focus on the most important aspect of your accident, and that is any injuries you or your passengers sustained in the accident. It is always advisable to seek medical attention after an accident to rule out any injuries that may not have symptoms that show up right away, such as is common with whiplash injuries.
The best advice right after an accident is to obtain immediate treatment for injuries and document all evidence from the scene of the crash.
- If your accident is not in a dangerous location where you are at risk of further injury, stay in your car if you have sustained major injuries from the crash.
- After an accident, do not leave the scene. Getting a police report is an official document that is crucial to helping you with your personal injury claim. Also, leaving the scene of an accident is a crime in Texas.
- Do not become combative with the other driver.
- Never speak to anyone or agree to any settlements without the council of your Texas personal injury attorney.
- Always take medical care that comes to the scene if you have serious injuries that need adequate attention.
- Do not get rid of any evidence you have from the scene of the crash.
Finding A Qualified Houston Car Accident Injury Attorney
These tips offer general points that you should consider and become familiar with if you have been victimized in an accident that was not your fault. There are time limits for filing a personal injury claim in Texas. The statute of limitations is 2-years for these claims in our state and since all accidents are different the amount of time it takes for you to conclude can range. There is no time to waste and you don’t want to miss out on the compensation you need for your damages. Call the Connolly Law Firm, PLLC today to speak with an experienced Texas traffic accident attorney during a free consultation at (832) 767-3568.